Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wanna' Fly Through the Aurora Borealis?

Hi all:

Nope, this isn't becoming a space blog. Honest. It's just that there's some fascinating space news lately. Like this:

Virgin Galactic Strikes Deal with Swedish Government

PARIS—The Swedish government on Jan. 26 announced an agreement with suborbital space-tourism company Virgin Galactic that Swedish officials believe will lead to midsummer and mid-winter flights of Virgin's SpaceshipTwo vehicle to observe the Aurora Borealis from Sweden ...

As a demonstration of its interest, Esrange authorities have proposed to launch a small sounding rocket in March 2008 into the Aurora Borealis.

Equipped with cameras, the flight would serve two purposes. It would give prospective passengers a sense of what they will view from their windows aboard SpaceshipTwo, and it will give SpaceshipTwo designer Burt Rutan and his company, Scaled Composites, a sense of what effect, if any, the Northern Lights might have on both the passengers and the electronics gear carried by SpaceshipTwo.

"Apparently this has never been done before, to fly through the Aurora Borealis," Norberg said. "We have images from above and below, but we have never taken pictures from within." ...

Wow! Wouldn't that be great to do! I've never even seen the aurora borealis from a distance. Here's a photo:

Imagine flying through that? Cool. Read the rest of the article here.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies declare the work of His hands." Psalm 19:1

Indeed!

hrh

4 comments:

C.J. Darlington said...

What a beautiful picture! Awesome. Hope to someday see this myself.

hrh said...

Hi C.J!
Yep, wouldn't it be neat? My cousin (Hi Robin, if you're reading!)sent me a promotional DVD about Iceland 'cause she wants to take a trip there. Maybe we'll time it so we can see some Northern Lights. I imagine they have some good viewing spots in Iceland! :)

Anonymous said...

T and I saw the Northern Lights one night at PEI. They were kind of moving around... it was neat! If you and Robin go to Iceland, I may have to hide in your suitcase :D
- hrp

hrh said...

Hi hrp:

Oh cool, I don't remember you telling me that! I wouldn't mind returning to PEI. :)

I think attic insulation will have to take the place of Iceland for me this year ... but maybe someday!