Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"So Say We All" book review at SFReader

Hi all:

I have a new review posted at SFReader for an anthology of essays on the new "Battlestar Galactica" called So Say We All.


Here's how my review begins:

When I picked up this anthology of essays on the reimagined "Battlestar Galactica (BSG)," I thought I would be at a disadvantage since I missed out on the third season when the Sci-Fi Channel in all its twisted wisdom moved the show's broadcast night from Friday to Sunday. Some of us have to get up early Monday mornings and be to work; Friday is just perfect for science fiction viewing, if you ask me. But I digress.

My lack of Season Three knowledge wasn't a problem, however, because So Say We All: An Unauthorized Collection of Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica was published in 2006 and only covers up through Season Two. I imagine there will be a further edition as the show continues. This first collection is rather heavy-handedly edited by Richard Hatch, who writes the official Introduction along with lead-ins to every essay as well as the concluding piece. I understand he's the only major player to be a part of both productions, but it makes one wonder if he'd be so effusive about the reimagined show if he had not been asked to be a part? I think not, but readers can make their own call on this one. In fact, I'm wondering if he actually did any of the editing for these essays since the title page gives the full editing credits as "with Tee Morris and Glenn Yeffeth."

This review is taking a rather down turn though I don't intend to give the impression that the collection does not include some incredible writing and commentary. It does. I shall list my favorites now ...

Click here to read the rest of my thoughts.

Enjoy!

hrh

No comments: