In the spirit of last week's "Church Bulletin Boo Boos" blog, I present these headlines that apparently appeared in some newspaper somewhere in 2006 (these have been making the e-mail rounds, so I'm not sure of their original source - but they sure are funny, especially the asides beneath):
- Crack Found on Governor's Daughter
- Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
- Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
Now that's taking things a bit far!
- Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
What a guy!
- Miners Refuse to Work after Death
No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-sos!
- Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
See if that works any better than a fair trial!
- War Dims Hope for Peace
I can see where it might have that effect!
- If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile
- Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
Who would have thought!
- Enfield Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
They may be on to something!
- Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?!
- Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge
He probably IS the battery charge!
- New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
Weren't they fat enough?!
- Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
That's what he gets for eating those beans!
- Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
Taste like chicken?
- Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
Chainsaw Massacre all over again!
- Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
Boy, are they tall!
- Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
Did I read that right?
My favorites are 3, 4, 6, and 17. What are yours?
As a writer/editor, I'm constantly trying to make sure boo boos like this don't make it into my work. It's pretty hard sometimes!