He's my favorite cartoon character. Carl Barks and Don Rosa have woven many fantastic and historical tales around this hilarious character. He's not just for kids anymore!
is actually the companion to this book:
See the difference?
My review of the Companion begins like this:
If you saw "Scrooge McDuck" and thought, "Disney cartoon, think I'll pass," please stop and think again. Don't underestimate the storytelling abilities of Don Rosa, who took over these duck tales from the venerable Carl Barks. Rosa can spin a yarn with the best of the American classics; indeed, he ranks with Mark Twain and James Fenimore Cooper in his ability to weave historical fact into fanciful legends. In Rosa's capable hands, the life and times of Scrooge McDuck becomes an action-packed adventure full of larger-than-life historical characters - none of whom can hold a candle to ol' McDuck himself.
Yes, that's right, "Scrooge McDuck: Action Hero! His exploits surpass the modern myths of yesteryear! Come along as he encounters, accompanies, outwits, and even defeats such historic giants as:
- President Teddy Roosevelt (and becomes the owner of the first Teddy bear now worth millions!)
- Judge Roy Bean
- Marshal Wyatt Earp
- Sheriff Bat Masterson
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- Jack London
- Colonel Ben Steel of the Northwest Mounted Police (now known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- The first Pinkertons detectives
- The first presidential Secret Service
McDuck also participates in these historic occasions:
- Yukon Gold Rush
- First voyage of the Titanic
- Building of the Panama Canal ...
Are you intrigued yet? I promise you these are some terrific adventures with wonderful full-color illustrations. Click here for the rest of my review.